[MPlayer-users] Copy protection on DVDs beyond CSS?

Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski rambo at id.uw.edu.pl
Wed Apr 19 21:43:48 CEST 2006

> Mplayer starts working to the "DVD successfully opened" point and then
> stops doing anything but accessing the DVD. Strange enough, the extra
> titles on the DVD (i.e. Trailer and stuff) are getting played, only
> main title is blocked.

I have this on one of Stargate SG-1 DVDs, it's not copy protection but
illegal MPEG stream header which confuses mplayer.

If you wait long enough, mplayer will "seek" the stream and start playback,
what doesn't work is seeking (there we go again, few minutes of waiting
and play from the beginning). Also mpeg copied with mencoder causes
mplayer to crash.