[MPlayer-users] Copy protection on DVDs beyond CSS?

Jonathan Schmitt jonathan.schmitt at detla.de
Wed Apr 19 21:36:17 CEST 2006

Dear all,
I've recently purchased a DVD, which is not playable with MPlayer, as it
seems. Searching around the web brought up someone with a similar problem,
that was solved by upgrading to the latest CVS version, so I tried
1.0pre7
1.0pre7try2 (with demux patch)
CVS as of 17.4.2006

Mplayer starts working to the "DVD successfully opened" point and then stops
doing anything but accessing the DVD. Strange enough, the extra titles on the
DVD (i.e. Trailer and stuff) are getting played, only main title is blocked.

I've tried this stunt on a NEC DVD writer, a second computer with a LG DVD
ROM, an ACER 4005WLMi and a Thinkpad T40p, always with the same result, won't
play. Always, by the way, with systems perfectly capable of playing other
DVDs.

The DVD works flawlessly in a stand alone DVD player and also works on some
DELL computer with some Windows software.

It is the German version of the 2003 pressed DVD of the 1973 version of "Day
of the Jackal", distributed by Universal.

Can this issue be solved or can I only take the DVD back to the store?
Kind regards,
Jonathan