[MPlayer-users] Bug 2 of 2: -framedrop gives lots of errormessageswith h264

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Apr 3 16:02:22 CEST 2006

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 08:48:33 -0400
"John Brown" <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> So if MPlayer  cannot play a file that other players can play, or if
> MPlayer works as  expected with one file format or codec, but not
> another, then it is hardly  likely that something is wrong with your
> CPU, video card, sound card,  drivers, operating system, gcc, etc.

Oh, I'd call it a 10% chance or so, based on my time following these
lists.

Different players may use different -vo methods by default, or may
downscale video.  Different players will use different optimizations,
which may not trigger a bug in gcc or your CPU.  etc.  It really does
happen that way.

Besides, all of that put together is only a handful of lines, so I still
don't see the problem.  Having someone read a vastly longer doc, telling
them what they need to include in each case, how to trace it down, etc.,
would certainly be more work for the users, for very little gain.

> Most of the solutions  end up as one of:
>
> 1) Fixed in CVS.

I really wouldn't count that.  Trying CVS first is pretty much
mandatory.  You might as well include mis-typed command-lines, changed
options, etc.

> 2) I broke it in CVS when I fixed some other problem. Try this patch.

That can often be CPU or compilier-specific as well.

> Ergzay posted the most  useful information, i.e., what he was  trying
> to do, the non-progress error  messages, as well as his operating
> system and CPU, I believe.

No, he did not post his CPU information until long after he was told he
needed to file a bugreport to get help, and even then, only the family
(G4) which is quite vague.  If you have a fairly fast CPU, and don't
play HD files, you won't be able to reproduce this problem at all.  Did
you try to reproduce his problem?  Do you regularly try to reproduce the
problems reported on mplayer-user?

Not to flame here, but Ergzay hasn't exactly been helping himself.
Posting numerous vague questions, faqs, other bugreports with even less
info, not bothering to search the list, etc.