[MPlayer-users] Bug 2 of 2: -framedrop gives lots of errormessageswith h264

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 14:48:33 CEST 2006

RC,

What you and the others who responded said is well taken, but I have a
problem with catchall responses. I prefer to get to the point. So if MPlayer
cannot play a file that other players can play, or if MPlayer works as
expected with one file format or codec, but not another, then it is hardly
likely that something is wrong with your CPU, video card, sound card,
drivers, operating system, gcc, etc.

>I recall reporting two myself, around 6 months ago, IIRC,...

6 months! That's exactly what I mean. A compiler bug has to be one of the
least likely causes. Most of the solutions  end up as one of:

1) Fixed in CVS.
2) I broke it in CVS when I fixed some other problem. Try this patch.
3) Too hard to fix.
4) Nobody is interested in fixing it.
5) Philosophically opposed to fixing it. Death before dishonour!

That is, the problem is easy to reproduce, and is not due to some exotic
combination of software and hardware in your machine.

The first response that Ergzay got was a disdainful RTFM, but after all of
the wrangling, someone posted that it's a known problem, and I am sure that
that person  did not need any gdb backtrace, because Ergzay posted the most
useful information, i.e., what he was  trying to do, the non-progress error
messages, as well as his operating system and CPU, I believe.

I am not saying that these details are *never* necessary. I just saying that
most of the time, they are not.