[MPlayer-users] avi cut and A/V sync

Kovács Gábor fottkrumpli at freemail.hu
Fri Sep 30 12:18:12 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm capturing from my tv card with mencoder to avi files
    mpeg-4 video (libavcodec)
    mpeg-4 audio (faac)
 and everything is ok.

But when I want to cut/extract a part of those files, the
A/V gets out of sync if I use the -ss option. Audio is
offset one second in advance of the video.

The command line is:
mencoder tvcapture_20050930-0836.avi -ss 1:00 -endpos 1:00
-o cut1.avi -oac copy -ovc copy

This is very fast, but has the above mentioned error.
If I reencode the audio with the following command, the A/V
sync is fine, but takes a LOT longer to process:

mencoder tvcapture_20050930-0836.avi -ss 1:00 -endpos 1:00
-o cut2.avi -oac faac -faacopts br=128:mpeg=4:object=1 -ovc copy

I've also tried capturing the audio to mp3, and then doing
the same (with the -ss option), and that also produces the
same A/V desynchronization, so I assume this is not related
to the audio codec.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and know how to fix it
so that copy (-ss) will produce the right result?
Alternatively, if anyone can confirm that this is a bug..
how can we get it fixed? :)

Thanks in advance, Gabor