[MPlayer-users] [BUGREPORT] I/O errors on DVD playback (totem plays it fine)

vitko vitk0 at seznam.cz
Thu Sep 15 09:28:31 CEST 2005

Short story:

mplayer 1.0pre7 fails to play certain DVD, while totem plays it fine, see
attached mplayer and dmesg logs. (Debian Sid + Marillat's packages).

Long story:

Some time ago I met DVD which could not be backed up using vobcopy -m,
as it generated a lot of errors in style

    Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 67446
    hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown

My XP addicted friend confirmed even DVD Shrink(?) software fails to read the disk,
as it freezes in certain moment while drive is spinning indefinitely trying to
read.

Anyway I've been able to use mplayer -dumpstream to get contents of that DVD and
so save the day.

Tomorrow I got in my hands Million Dollar Baby (the movie, actually! :-), which
vobcopy failed to process, causing kernel to spit a lot of Buffer I/O error
messages. Worse was to come - mplayer dvd:// played minute or so, then kernel
started spitting

    Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 67434
    hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 539480
    hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 539488
    printk: 1 messages suppressed.
    Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 67436
    hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 539496
    Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 67437

As a blind test I fired up totem, which to my astonishment played the DVD with no
apparent problems at all! I even checked my drive with regionset, it is correctly
set to "2".

I'd be very glad to provide any help to debug this mysterious issue.

Vit