[MPlayer-users] control mplayer

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Sat Sep 10 04:01:41 CEST 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 03:32, The Wanderer wrote:
> Mara Miranda wrote:
> > I want to know if is posible to control a mplayer running in one
> > console, from another one. Or how could I give orders to that mplayer
> > if I can't access to the console where it was created.
>
> Assumiing that you're running Linux, or some reasonably close relative,
> and that I'm not misremembering anything important:
>
> mkfifo mplayer-remote-control
> mplayer -slave -input file=mplayer-remote-control
>
> And then, when you want to tell MPlayer to execute "command":
>
> echo "command" > mplayer-remote-control
>
> from any console. IIRC, "command" can be any of the commands listed in
> DOCS/tech/slave.txt.

Maybe it would be a nice idea if MPlayer supported some sort of network
connection. It could listen on a port for connections and accept slave
commands from there. With proper authentication and tunneled over ssh or
something, this could be quite neat, because the above only works if you
have a shell account on the box that's running mplayer. One could even
implement some sort of mini-webserver that accepts encapsulated slave
commands and some extra web specific commands and mplayer could be remotely
controled by a browser ;-) Imagine mplayer monitoring a webcam or something
and you can remotely switch cams and periodically get a still image etc. :)

--Ivo