[MPlayer-users] control mplayer

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 03:32:23 CEST 2005

Mara Miranda wrote:

> I want to know if is posible to control a mplayer running in one
> console, from another one. Or how could I give orders to that mplayer
> if I can't access to the console where it was created.

Assumiing that you're running Linux, or some reasonably close relative,
and that I'm not misremembering anything important:

mkfifo mplayer-remote-control
mplayer -slave -input file=mplayer-remote-control

And then, when you want to tell MPlayer to execute "command":

echo "command" > mplayer-remote-control

from any console. IIRC, "command" can be any of the commands listed in
DOCS/tech/slave.txt.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.