[MPlayer-users] difference in vobsub handling between mplayer and mencoder

Pomarede Nicolas npomarede at corp.free.fr
Mon Nov 7 16:19:16 CET 2005

Hello,

I noticed 2 differences between mplayer and mencoder when playing the same
matroska file.

I use mencoder to reencode the mkv file in RV40 to divx4. So I have 2 files :
in.mkv, out.avi.

  - with mplayer, the vobsub subtitles in in.mkv are displayed nearly at the
bottom of the screen (which is OK), but when mencoder creates the new file, the
vobsub are near the center of the screen, which is too high. If I use -spualign
2, both videos displays the subtitle at the same place, so this fix the
problem, but it seems mplayer and mencoder don't handle the default value in
the same way.

  - a more annyoing problem is that the subtitle don't have the same color when
reencoded. In in.mkv, they're white with a black outline, but in the out.avi
file, they become black with a white outline, which is nearly impossible
to read when displayed on a TV. Is there a way to keep the same color ?

I'm using the following command :

mencoder in.mkv -oac lavc -ovc lavc -aid 1 -sid 1 -spualign 2 -spuaa 2
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=5000

(using spuaa or not doesn't change the color problem)

This is using 1.0pre7, I don't know if this is fixed in CVS, so I prefer
reporting it.

Bye

Nicolas Pomarede                   e-mail:   npomarede at corp.free.fr

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?"