[MPlayer-users] mplayer via ssh on home network

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat May 21 15:04:03 CEST 2005

Is there a way for me to run mplayer on one machine on my home network
and hear the music on my second machine? I am blind and using the
command-line so please avoid answers involving gui.
I had thought that esound (esd) might be the way to do this but the esd
examples I found either involved gnome or talked about going from a
Windows machine to a linux machine; my network involves two linux
machines. Also, if I used esd, I couldn't figure out whether to use the
default port (16001) or some other port and how to set it up so that I
didn't get "unable to bind" errors. I was hoping too that there might be
a more direct way of doing this via the mplayer command-line itself.
I am using alsa 1.0.8.
Tia.