[MPlayer-users] how to play subtitles embedded in AVI files

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat May 21 12:08:07 CEST 2005

Alexander Noe' wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>>> It is not, at least not in avi-mux gui, because it doesn't give a
>>>  shit to the file name extension. You know, in order to split or
>>> join files with subtitles it has to reprocess the subtitle anyway
>>> (in case of SSA joining, it even has to redo the style
>>> definitions)
>>
>> Okay, then I don't know what's going on, because there is
>> *certainly* no need to parse the subtitle file if you're just going
>> to be inserting it contiguous and verbatim into the AVI - which is
>> what was done for the only sample files I've seen so far.
>
> You most likely did not compare the source subtitle file and the
> extracted subtitle file byte-wise, so you can impossibly know that.

Given that the end result is in fact a single contiguous subtitle file,
the input must have been the same thing. I declare this is the face of
any and all evidence, and attempts to convince me otherwise will be
utterly futile.

At least this week.

>> As far as splitting and joining... shouldn't that be done with a
>> separate tool?
>
> Now i'm lost. If you want to split e.g. mkvmerge into like 10 tools
> (adding audio streams, adding subtitles, adding chapters, adding
> tags, setting an aspect ratio, splitting a file at a certain size...)
> you can certainly do that.

As far as I know, the programs which mux subtitles into containers which
are intended to support them (Matroska, Ogg, NUT) do not themselves
combine multiple subtitle files for the purpose; it would not make sense
to me for them to do more than take one input file per intended subtitle
stream and mux that in. If a person has multiple subtitle files which
they want to be part of the same embedded subtitle stream, the task of
combining them is properly the job of a separate program.

The tasks you list above for mkvmerge are, as best I understand them
from the brief names, properly the job of a muxer. Combining multiple
subtitle files is not, if for no other reason than that it would very
likely restrict possible subtitle formats to those which the muxer
understands. (...which is where we entered this part of the discussion,
isn't it?)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.