[MPlayer-users] The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon May 16 01:32:17 CEST 2005

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 07:05:52AM -0700, John Francis Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In an effort to improve my Thai I've bought some Karaoke VCDs. I can
> here the sound but the picture is green static. The error message is as
> below. I downloaded the "all" codecs package and installed to
> /usr/share/mplayer/codecs and symbolic linked same to
> /usr/local/lib/codecs but no help.
>
> Looks like mplayer is missidentifying the codec required.

No, it looks like you are misidentifying the error.

> Any help?
> Thanks.
>
> Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
> VDec: vo config request - 352 x 288 (preferred csp: Mpeg PES)
> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
> VDecoder init failed :(
> Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder
> libmpeg2-v0.3.1
> Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm:libmpeg2 (MPEG 1 or 2 (libmpeg2))

This is not an error, notice it switched to libmpeg2 decoding when it
realized you don't have a hardware mpeg decoder board! Do not cut off
the mplayer output if you want help. In you care, the problem is in
part of the output you cut off, and we can't see it...

Rich