[MPlayer-users] OT question - Video-Streaming - how?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 12 09:55:39 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 08:16:52AM +0200, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> Which file format would you recommend in this situation? I need some basic
> things:
> .) Good image quality (size 1/4 PAL)
> .) Good data compression

These "two points" are actually the same.

> .) Good "compatibility" with existing Windows systems
> .) If possible, I would prefer to prevent the average user from downloading
>    the file. He may view it, but not store it on his disk.

Use some stupid javascript I guess, but it will only prevent really
naive users. Why would you want to punish people for not knowing how
to use their computers well?
Besides, if you force them to re-download every time they want to
watch you'll just pay 10x as much for bandwidth..

> I see the following options:
> a) The last point seems to be the most problematic one. I (for myself) would
>    prefer DivX4 files, because mencoder can produce them easily and they have
>    both: good quality and small size.

This is idiotic. Divx4 is the worst mpeg4 encoder. If you want to use
mpeg4, use a GOOD ENCODER, i.e. lavc or xvid.

>    But the disadvantage is that standard Windoze PCs do not play DivX by
>    default, so the customer must install a codec first. -> Not every user is
>    able to do that.
>    Ok, I could place a link to DivX' codecs below. Is it possible to test
>    with JavaScript, if the used browser (with plugins) is able to play DivX
>    and automatically point users to a download URL if NOT? (As this is done
>    mith Flash player on many sites?)

I have no idea.

> b) Another option is using .mpg files. This is a little bit more problematic,
>    because SuSE doesn't have a really working codec library. It can decode,

Huh? What does SuSE have to do with encoding? Use mencoder to encode..

>    but not encode. So this requires more work and also gives much bigger
>    files.

No, file size is something you pick. It will be lower quality at a
given fixed filesize, but not so bad if you use a good encoder (lavc)
and options.

> c) I could try to produce MPEG4 files, but I have no experience if (and how)

Do you mean mpeg4 video, or .mp4 (quicktime) container?

>    mencoder can do that, how the filesize is, ... If I understood right,
>    this file format (as well as an .mpg file = MPEG2 ?) should automatically

.mpg is normally mpeg1. mpeg2 can be used too, but WMP won't play it.
BTW, WMP won't play mpeg4 without additional codecs either.

>    play while it is still downloading. Would appear similar to a stream, but
>    without a stream's disadvantages.

Why not use wmv? ffmpeg can make wmv files using the wmv1 codec. These
compress fairly well and play on an "out of the box" windows system.

Rich