[MPlayer-users] Newbie? Playing DVD's on Mplayer

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Mar 21 22:37:41 CET 2005

On Monday 21 Mar 2005 10:31 am, amber wrote:
> you might need to specify cdrom-device and dvd-device. look in manual, find
> the right one in the /dev directory and place them in the ~.mplayer/config

Hi Amber. Thanks for the reply. I already had the cdrom device and the dvd
device specified, but still no joy, so I thought I'd try some Simpsons
episodes, .mpg and .avi and these played ok. I just happened to right click
on the screen while these were playing and got a menu, amongst other things
to open DVD. So I thought "Go for it". And the DVD which I'd left in the
drive started "The Full Monty" A real good laugh that is. Probably me, but I
just didn't think of right clicking for a menu. Thanks for the help anyway. I
just think it would be nice for those migrating from Windows if there was a
nice little HOW-TO showing how to play DVD's, which is probably the first
thing someone is going to want to try. The documentation for Mplayer is very
comprehensive and I'm very impressed with it, but it covers so many things it
can be a bit confusing. Thanks again. Nigel. Another tick on the done list.