[MPlayer-users] compiling on FC4 ppc test

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Mar 20 06:08:40 CET 2005

On 19 Mar 2005 22:48:00 -0600
Bret Hughes <bhughes at elevating.com> wrote:

> assumed that there was some motion compensation or some such stuff built
> into chips that claim hardware decoding of mpeg2 and or mpeg4 files.

There is, but those features are only exploited if you are using a driver built to support it, such as xvmc.  "-vo xv" doesn't do anything like that.  It's merely an overlay, shared memory, and hardware scaling

> I was hoping for something
> similar on the mac since it is a well know chip (Radeon 9200) on a
> faster processor and risc based to boot.

Yes, there's surely something similar, but I wouldn't imagine "-vo xv" would work.  Maybe "-vo quartz" will work as well?  It doesn't seem there are many Mac users on this list, so I'm not sure you'll find any answers here.