[MPlayer-users] subtitle problems

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Mar 18 01:37:36 CET 2005

On Friday, 18 March 2005 at 00:52, Thomas Martinsen wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
[...]
> >MJH: you don't have to keep a separate file, just use a more capable
> >container, like Matroska or NUT, that supports subtitle streams.
>
> What about portability, I mean, Sure you bring MPlayer to the system..
> But what if you'd want to play it on a system without MPlayer? I believe
> it would be best to store it in a common format, and rather store the
> subtitle file in a sperate file.

Matroska and NUT are both open formats and quite portable. Matroska is
supported by some media players for the "other" OS. And NUT will be, as
soon as its spec stabilizes.

> And btw, muxing subtitles into MPEG2 video isnt that bad either, I've
> tried it a few times when i burned a dvd. It can be done with spumix in
> dvdauthor. And you dont have to reencode either, and you can choose not
> to view the subtitles.

SPU streams are OK, too, even though they are graphics instead of text.
The point is not to encode subs into the video stream.

R.