[MPlayer-users] subtitle problems

Thomas Martinsen tech at tnet.no
Fri Mar 18 00:52:01 CET 2005

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

>On Thursday, 17 March 2005 at 21:44, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>

>>On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 01:49:24PM -0500, MJH wrote:
>>

>[...]
>

>>>Or in the case where you always want the subtitles - I don't know enough
>>>Japanese to watch anime without them, so why keep seperate files?
>>>

>>Because someday you might, or you might want to loan your discs to a
>>friend who does, or you might find out the subtitles are horribly
>>mistranslated and want to use alternate subtitle file. As long as you
>>keep the subs separate everything is flexible and you have many
>>options open. As soon as you burn them in you're stuck with them.
>>

>MJH: you don't have to keep a separate file, just use a more capable
>container, like Matroska or NUT, that supports subtitle streams.
>
>R.

What about portability, I mean, Sure you bring MPlayer to the system..
But what if you'd want to play it on a system without MPlayer? I believe
it would be best to store it in a common format, and rather store the
subtitle file in a sperate file.

And btw, muxing subtitles into MPEG2 video isnt that bad either, I've
tried it a few times when i burned a dvd. It can be done with spumix in
dvdauthor. And you dont have to reencode either, and you can choose not
to view the subtitles.