[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] TV-recording with mencoder, "video-buffer full" (fwd)

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Thu Mar 10 22:57:52 CET 2005

Am Mittwoch, 9. März 2005 11:23 schrieb Rainer Hantsch:
> Hello, Matthias!
>
> meanwhile I found out that pp=fd is causing all this black lines in
> highmotion scenes and/or when the camera moves horizontally a little
> bit faster. In this case all vertical contoures appear as when I would
> play interlaced, without de-interlacing.
> Then I chose pp=md again, and this horizontal lines vanished
> immediately.

It looks like your video has some extremely bright parts (the white text).
So maybe pp=fd produces somewhere an overflow which creates those black
lines. Another explanation could be that the black horizontal lines are
produced by your capture card and only vanish because of the
characteristic of the pp=md deinterlacer: pp=md takes the mean value (not
the medium value!) of three vertical aligned pixels. Your black line will
never be selected as the mean value.

Have you tried to capture without deinterlacing to find out if it is a
mencoder bug (pp=fd) or if it is a bug of your capture card?
Maybe you could use "mplayer -tv [...] -vf pp=yx" to exclude any encoding
artifacts.

> Also the CPU load reduced to 70% average.

So pp=fd takes a bit more CPU power than I thought...

> So I am actually back at my original settings, except that I do not
> have the conflicting parameters for vbitrate or vqscale inside any
> more. I also stripped a few other arguments which had no effect.

I just have realized that you don't set any video parameters.

"[..] -tv driver=v4l2:width=768:height=576:amode=1:adevice=/dev/dsp1 [..]"

Does the image quality become better if you use something like
"[..] -tv driver=v4l2:[...]:brightness=0:contrast=0:saturation=0[...]"?

         Matthias