[MPlayer-users] Mplayer compile problem with fedora 3

Jeff snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 02:01:13 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 01:00:24AM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, 08 March 2005 at 15:30, Esperanza Glass wrote:
> > I've been having problems to get mplayer CVS and Mplayer-1.0pre5
> > compiled. I have tried to follow instructions given for example here:
> >
> > http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mplayer-fedora.shtml
>
> This guide has at least one error and several bad recommendations.

For readers who may be wondering, these are probably the two worst
offenders:

1. The guide suggests getting divx4linux. The guide does not mention how
laughably pointless this is. Presumably, the author thinks it might be
a good idea.

2. The guide tells users to use a codecs.conf file, as if this is a
necessary or even helpful installation step.

Maybe a little OT, but it's really astounding how many guides there are
out there that suggest utter nonsense. I'm not sure where to apportion
the blame for this, but considering the number of users who are still
using "-vop" instead of "-vf", not to mention the very popular -lavcopts
vhq, perhaps more attention needs to be drawn to the things users should
STOP doing.

I've been thinking about making an anti-FAQ. It will be full of really
impressive command lines like:

mencoder file.avi -ovc divx4 -vop lavcdeint,scale=720:480 -divx4opts\
br=4:max_quant=1 -of avi -o \[3lIt3_r3l3asErZ\]_FILE_vry_hi_qual_READ_NFO.mp4
This is suggested for old-school clueless newbies.

mencoder file.avi -vf pp=dr/vb/dr/hb/dr,noise=10a:10a,hqdn3d=4:3:6,scale=640:480,pp=lb -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vqmin=2:lmin=2.0:lmax=31.0:vme=5:me_range=9999:keyint=250:sc_threshold=3:vb_strategy=1:vbitrate=800:vlelim=3:vcelim=3:vdpart:vfdct=2:lumi_mask=0.1:dark_mask=0.1:scplx_max=0.2:p_mask=0.05:ildctcmp=4:format=yv12:mpeg_quant:cgop -of avi
This is for a certain class of user who thinks a longer command line is
always better. Such users prefer to use as many options as possible, and
it's a bonus if most of them are either equivalent to the defaults, or
if they ask for questionable behavior. This class of user is very, very
common. Their most impressive skill is their ability to try as many
different lavcopts as possible without managing to fit in one that is
important or useful for their situation.

More suggestions are welcome.