[MPlayer-users] help wanted: using mencoder to make NTSC DVD from transport stream

Aaron Peterson dopplecoder at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 03:08:10 CET 2005

>   mencoder $i -vf scale=720:-2,expand=720:480 -o dvd.mpg \
>               -vc ffmpeg12,mpeg12, \
>               -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd \
>               -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=4000:keyint=18:mbd=2:aspect=16/9 -oac copy
>
> NTSC dvds want a 29.97 fps, so if your source is 29.97 don't convert it.
> -oac copy is better
>
> If there are many and frequent frameskips add -mc 0 -noskip.

I tried this with a .wmv (that claims to be 1000 fps according to
mplayer?).  I used -ofps 30 and -oac mp3lame.  It came out looking
very nice, but the video lags noticeably behind the audio in the
resulting file.  I'm wondering what better techniques might be
employed in such situations.  Could I expect similar discrepancy if I
were re-encoding from mpeg4?  Will I encounter similar problems
anytime I try to modify the frame rate?  Or does this have more to do
with re-encoding the audio?