[MPlayer-users] webcam codecs

jklaas jklaas at comcast.net
Thu Mar 3 05:25:55 CET 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Please do not top-post!!
>
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 02:28:06PM -0500, jklaas wrote:
> > Oh, I've got plenty of hardware to play with.  This was just a question to
> > determine if this would be another way to get proprietary hardware to work
> > with open source.
> >
> > As far as buying proper pieces of hardware to work with, it is often
> > impossible to determine the type of hardware you are getting.  Even with
> > the so-called "higher-end" webcams.  Often you're lucky that the hardware
> > specs from past hardware from the same manufacturer and the same model
> > number matches over the course of manufacture.  So, I would have to say
> > that your comment about buying "proper" hardware is counterproductive.
>
> Well sorry, but that's the way it goes. Buying hardware requires
> research and a willingness to return defective items and complain
> about their incompatibility. Proprietary manufacturers make things
> hard for free software users, and you have to fight back, not take
> their shit..

I'm sorry, I didn't really wish to get in a pissing match over hardware.
I'm sorry you feel that you need to denigrate my choice of hardware to
play with.  I pick out hardware both that works and stuff that I think
might be a challenge to get working with Linux.

> The only part that's a waste of our time is your not listening to what
> I already said and not RTFM'ing. :)

I apologize for forgetting about the top-posting.  As far as finding
documentation on mplayer, the documentation to get it running is complex
enough, attempting to wade through everything else to see if I could
contribute to the development in one small part is a little
overwhelming.

> I don't mind helping, even though personally I don't encourage the use
> of proprietary binary codecs, but I would like you to make some
> efforts on yourself to use the information you're given.

Thank you for your guidance.

> Rich

			James Klaas

Procrastinate NOW!!!! -- Don't put it off.