[MPlayer-users] tdfxfb broken?

Andrew Richardson ucapajr at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 31 16:03:18 CEST 2005

Dear all,
  I've just compiled MPlayer-1.0pre7.tar.bz2 with
tdfxfb support. I have kernel 2.6.11.4-20a and have
compiled tdfx fb support into the kernel. /proc/fb
reports "0 3Dfx Voodoo3" as expected. I have (I think)
compiled 8bpp fonts into the tdfx fb kernel driver.
When I attempt to start mplayer (from X or the console
without X running, booted up to run level 3 so X has
never started) I get the output: "tdfxfb: Couldn't map
memory areas: Invalid argument". If I do not set the
fb to 16 bpp with "fbset -depth 16" I get an error
saying the fb does not support 8bpp. The VESA, x11 and
xv drivers all work. What am I doing wrong? Also the
xv driver gives blocky output, but the VESA and x11
outputs are very good, any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time & expertise,

Andy