[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: Crop before deinterlacing OK?

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Tue Jul 26 22:15:50 CEST 2005

Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2005 21:45 schrieb Rich Felker:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:53:29PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:

> > > It's clearly visible. See this example I created a long time ago:
> > > http://brightrain.aerifal.cx/~dalias/lavcdeint_sucks.jpg
> >
> > OK.
> >
> > This ist what pp=lb would make out of it:
> > http://home.knuut.de/MWieser_/lb.jpeg
> >
> > What's the alternative? pp=ci?
>
> Never use pp=ci; it is completely useless. Alll it does is create
> redundant information.

You know how it was meant :-)
Unfortunately Mplayer has no better deinterlacer than pp=fd because pp=ci
creates bad looking edges and you could just capture one field and let
the graphics card do the bicubic scaling. On the other hand pp=md
produces even worse looking micro-blocks. So pp=lb, kerndeint and pp=fd
are imho the only usable deinterlacers. (maybe pp=md if you scale down
the video before compression).

> BUT, in general, the (only) alternative is tfields.

That's why the upcoming Kalva release (0.7) will be able to use this high
quality 50Hz profile:
http://www.kde-files.org/content/show.php?content=26921&PHPSESSID=adfed4c8b6897fe82e42dfc1cb5a1c44
This "get-hot-new-stuff" technology is really nice. Anybody will be able
to provide profiles for tv capturing.

Regards,
  Matthias