[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: [-] Crop before deinterlacing OK?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Jul 23 02:58:28 CEST 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:35:53 +0200
Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de> wrote:

> What about those standard deinterlacers? I think about kerndeint or
> pp=md. Motion would probably not be as smooth as with an inverse
> telecine filter but would it be scceptable for a normal-quality TV
> recording?

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

If you mean to deinterlace material with kerndeint and not use detc/
ivtc/pullup to reverse the telecine, it will look quite bad.  In
addition, it would still leave you with the same problem.

> How does it look like? I could imagine that those CNN live tickers
> would show some unsteady motion if frames were duplicates. But does
> it matter for movies?

It matters, but it's not as bad as some are making it sound.
Slightly jumpy, but so little that nobody but videophiles will notice.

> But let's assume someone is recording a movie. Would detc be an good
> option? The manpage says that ivtc does not like noisy input.

Either detc or ivtc is just fine.  They are quite similar.  ivtc works
with non-standard patterns, and detc is more resilant.  Neither is
better, they are just a bit different.

Just to be clear, make sure you aren't just using detc/ivtc (or just
a deinterlacer). The inverse telecine filter should be followed by a
deinterlacer (except with filmdint, which I wouldn't recomend).