[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: [-] Crop before deinterlacing OK?

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Sat Jul 23 00:35:53 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 18. Juli 2005 15:03 schrieb Guillaume POIRIER:
> Hi,
>
> On 7/8/05, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:34:40 +0200
> >
> > Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Less work for the deinterlacing filter.
> >
> > In most cases, it's a nominal difference.
> >
> > > I thought you only need to inverse teleine when capturing NTSC
> > > movies. Normal NTSC TV broadcasts can be deinterlaced with pp=[md|
> > > lb...], right?
> >
> > You'll find that NTSC broadcasts are commonly telecined, also.
> > Inverse telecine filters don't have negative side-effects if the
> > content is not telecined, so it's best to always include it.
>
> I fought quite a bit against NTSC content for the past week. From my
> perspective, even thought ivtc doesn't _harm_ strictly speaking when
> the content is not telecined, putting it "blindly" is not what I'd
> recommend.

What about those standard deinterlacers? I think about kerndeint or pp=md.
Motion would probably not be as smooth as with an inverse telecine filter
but would it be scceptable for a normal-quality TV recording?

> That's because when you ivtc, you most of times change
> framerate back to mostly the original framerate of the movie. Now, if
> you do not set the correct output framerate with "-ofps", you'll
> either end-up with duplicate frames

How does it look like? I could imagine that those CNN live tickers would
show some unsteady motion if frames were duplicates. But does it matter
for movies?

> So please-please-please, identify your source before launching the
> encoding process.

Hm, quite a challenge when doing timer based TV recording!

Maybe you would like to take a look at Kalva (SVN version), it has evolved
quite a bit recently. (http://www.andreas-silberstorff.de/ktvapp/ )

Although users will be able to share profiles with mencoder parameters, a
usable default profile for NTSC users would be beneficial.

But let's assume someone is recording a movie. Would detc be an good
option? The manpage says that ivtc does not like noisy input.
What would be an good option for the daily soap opera? ivtc together with
-ofps 30000/1001, or better detc (any advice for the sub-options?) with
-ofps 30000/1001?

Regards,
  Matthias