[MPlayer-users] segmentation fault

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Jul 18 18:54:13 CEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:05:14 +1000 (EST)
Olivier GRENIE <ogrenie at yahoo.com> wrote:

>    1/ the RAM seems OK (no test failed)
>    2/ I downloaded, compiled and installed the last
> stable version. Still, the same problem: segmentation
> fault

Your RAM may not be the problem, but it seems pretty clear it's a
hardware problem.  Most likely your CPU is marginal.

You could try booting-up with a Linux LiveCD which includes MPlayer,
and see if it will run without a segfault.  The projects page lists 3
of them:  http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/projects.html

If the LiveCD with MPlayer works on your hardware, then you probably
have a corrupt kernel/libc or some similar issue.  If it still segfaults
with the LiveCD, then you can be pretty certain it's a hardware problem.

As Reimar said, you should read bugreports.html and post the
appropriate info if you think it might be a problem with mplayer (but
I doubt that very much).