[MPlayer-users] Incorrect display of ISO88591/ISO885915/CP1252 SRT subtitles

Philippe Combes Philippe.Combes at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Jul 13 15:45:12 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am using mplayer 1.0pre7-3.3.5, from the Debian unstable package
built by C. Marillat.
My ~/.mplayer/font is a symlink to
/usr/share/mplayer/font/iso-8859-15/arial-18/
which I got from
ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/contrib/fonts/arial-18/

I try to generate OGM files with SRT subtitles streams, but I have
a problem as regards character set encoding of the .srt file. Since I
would like to be able to play my OGM files under french Windows systems,
I have iconv'd my .srt to CP1252. But some characters are never properly
displayed by mplayer, such as É.
I also tried with ISO88591 and ISO885915 encoding, of course, but there
are the same problems.
Only if I use an UTF-8 .srt (without changing my .mplayer/font, which
mplayer -v says to find OK !), with "mplayer -utf8", I get almost all
characters OK (but the euro sign...)

I have attached 3 versions of the same subtitle, with CP1252, ISO885915
and UTF8 character sets. Anyone can test them with a video longer than
16s...

I am sure it is not an Mplayer bug (since it almost works with UTF8),
but there might be something I have misconfigured. Or maybe is it due to
the Debian binary package...
Has anyone any idea of what I should investigate for ?

Thanks in advance,

Philippe