[MPlayer-users] DTS only in stereo

Matthew Mott matmott at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 24 22:45:37 CET 2005

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Friday, 21 January 2005 at 14:57, Matthew Mott wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>When using mplayer 1.0pre6 from Dominik's RPMS (I have modified the SPEC
>>file to enable DTS support, as it doesn't by default), mplayer will only
>>play a DTS track in Stereo mode, even though it should contain 5.1
>>surround sound.
>

> What is the exact command line you used? Please include MPlayer's output
> with -v option next time.

mplayer dvd://

mplayer dvd:// -channels 4

mplayer dvd:// -channels 6

Same result each time. I will upload an mplayer -v if I get round to it.

>>The output from Mplayer is attached. Mplayer was built with the
>>--enable-dts option against dtsdec-devel-0.0.2-1mdk.i586.rpm, which was
>>the only version of libdts I could find.
>

> Interesting. I'll look into it and add support, so you don't have
> to edit the spec file, but can simply use rpmbuild --rebuild --with dts
> next time.
>
> R.

Excellent, that will make things easier. Unfortunately users who compile
without DTS support will probably end up with no sound whatsoever, since
mplayer pre6 often tries to play the DTS track by default even if the
support is not compiled in (you can override this with -aid 0x80, but
users will probably not be used to doing this since it is not necessary
in previous versions).

Matthew