AW: [MPlayer-users] NODAEMON subtitle fonts

Phil Phil.Oleynik at mail.ioffe.ru
Mon Jan 24 18:13:19 CET 2005

sabine funk wrote:

>no, i am using the command line mplayer without the gui, the font i
>installed is just the arial package available on the website. the
>subtitles i was trying were both english and german, i tried various
>DVDs. i think the format is VOB.
>
>the strange thing is, there is actually no difference between the
>subtitles mplayer was using before and after installing the OSD. reading
>the documentary i got the impression that OSD subtitles should be
>displayed after pressing 'o' ?
>i only get subtitles working with the -slang or -sid option. i also got
>the impression that mplayer should start using the font selcted for the
>OSD as subtitle font right away, but maybe i got that wrong.
>thanks for any further advice!
>sabine

Hello, Sabine

I see now your problem. You are trying to use VOB subtitles, that are
already rendered into bitmap.
You cannot change its font anyway. One thing you can do - convert them
into Subripper SRT or so
using VobSub's "SubResync" tool. It is for windows, but you may be able
to get it work under Wine.
You should open your sub/idx files (There are many ways to get it, use
-dumpsub family options, )
with it and save as SRT. Then, you will work as OCR machine for some
time, until the engine learns itself.
After this you will get almost valid SRT file, and it will show up in
mplayer just as you wish in config.

Phil