[MPlayer-users] Mencoder and HuffYUV

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Feb 18 22:14:19 CET 2005

Hi,
On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:04:18AM +0100, Levente Novák wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >update is a daemon that does sync all the time - if you use that instead
> >of letting the kernel make that decision you don't have to be surprised
> >if you get bad performance. Simply removing that daemon should do the
> >job even better - and there is no reason to run it unless you have
> >critical data and/or expect your PC to crash a lot.
>
> Yes and no. It is true this can cause harm, but so far it is the only
> way to get smooth HuffYUV captures. I did not mean it has to run all the
> time -- just enable it before capture and disable afterwards.
> Without, HUffYUV capture -- on my box -- doesn't work smoothly. More
> exactly this is not the capture itself, but the disk transfer which hogs
> periodically the system.

I didn't test how my system behaves, but this very much sounds like
stupid kernel behaviour to me - it should usually write out data to the
disc constantly, not periodically... Maybe a different kernel
IO-Scheduler can improve things, too?

> PS: On the other way, ffv1rec from avidemux2 is constantly flusing
> during capture, so there is no disk transfer bottleneck. Sadly enough,
> it does only YV12 colorspace.

Constantly flushing seems not an acceptable solution to me, as it would
completely break things for people that have a slow disk but lots of RAM
and record only shorter clips...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger