[MPlayer-users] Mencoder and HuffYUV

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Feb 12 11:06:57 CET 2005

Hi,
On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:15:02PM +0000, Levente Novakák Levente wrote:
> Replying to my own question, the following command -- issued as root --
> did the job under Linux:
>
> # update -S -s 1
>
> This flushes the file cache with sync() every seconds instead of the
> default 5 secs.
> It makes the transfers small enough to allow for smooth motion in
> captures.

update is a daemon that does sync all the time - if you use that instead
of letting the kernel make that decision you don't have to be surprised
if you get bad performance. Simply removing that daemon should do the
job even better - and there is no reason to run it unless you have
critical data and/or expect your PC to crash a lot.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger