[MPlayer-users] any luck playing 1080i content through VGA output to HDTV?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 21 08:25:56 CET 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:31:43 -0500
Norman Ramsey <nr at eecs.harvard.edu> wrote:

>  > > Many, many filters don't work with -vo xvmc,
>  >
>  > No video filters work with -vo xvmc
>
> So why is that?  I know nothing about the internal architecture, but I
> would hope that maybe something simple like 'screenshot' would still
> work.  Should be trying (dare I suggest) some other player?

You can try any player you like, but you'll get the same result.  XVMC
means the decoding is done on the card, so the player can't do any
postprocessing to the video at all.

You can always re-encode the video (non-realtime) with mencoder to
mpeg2, using the deinterlacer and other filters, then play the output
file.  Using "keyint=1" (and pretty much no other lavcopts) mpeg2
encoding can be quite fast, although the output will be very large.

> LOL :-)  This explains much.  I guess I should have bought the loud,
> hot, expensive 3.4GHz CPU...

I doubt your performance with a 3.4GHz Intel would be any better
than with your Sempron 3300.

You should be able to get playback up to realtime, even with
deinterlacing...  Use "-framedrop", aggressive values for "-vf
decimate", "-nocache", etc. Oh yes, and Rich's favorite... compile
mplayer with gcc-2.95.x to get libmpeg2 to perform much better.  After
that, you _might_ even want to try overclocking the processor/RAM
slightly.

I'm sure others here will have even more suggestions.