[MPlayer-users] MPlayer and sound

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Fri Dec 16 18:29:02 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm an Austrian writer living in Montpezat (South France), and a 100% GNU/Linux
user since 2001.

I'm currently fiddling with the myriad of compile options for MPlayer. My
system:

Slackware Linux 10.2
Kernel 2.6.12, vanilla from kernel.org, tuned to my hardware.
I use the kernel-built-in ALSA.
I use KDE as GUI, so this forces me to use arts.

I'm referring to the pre7try2 version of MPlayer, which I compile by myself.

I'm a bit confused about the different sound systems, and I wonder which to
enable and which to disable. Something that puzzles me: arts is not recognized
automatically by ./configure.

Anyway, first things first: what sound system better to enable and to disable? I
gave the whole thing one shot, most seems OK, some DVD's even had sound OK, but
with others, there's just a horrible white noise, and an error message about
/dev/dsp being busy. I guess this is related to arts, though I don't know how.

Suggestions very welcome,

Niki Kovacs