[MPlayer-users] Creating mp4-files for Apples' ipod with MPlayer

Hans-Carl Oberdalhoff hcoberdalhoff at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:48:04 CET 2005

2005/12/15, Michael Scholz <Michael_Scholz at hotmail.com>:
> Is there a way to create MPEG4-Files (mp4, framesize 320x200) from any video
> input stream/file/etc. with MPlayer that will be accepted by the iPod and
> its software? So far I've been unsuccessfully, unfortunately. All the video
> files I created were considered invalid (although playable by almost any
> video player software) by Apple's software.
>
> Does anybody know?
I have such an iPod and tried around a little bit. The sad thing is,
Apple doesnt like the mp4- and mov-containers libavformat (-of lavf)
produces. There seem to be some "atoms" (metadata) missing or
different, from what Apple wants.
A crew called MobileHackerz have a modified FFmpeg to produce
Apple-able mp4-containers, This hack is used by the
Videora-Ipod-converter to create videos.
You can use vlc though. It produces containers that are accepted by
Quicktime and the iPod.

I was planning to report on this too, but had no time yet.
@developers: What would be needed to find the missing stuff? Like
output from encoder and from decoding a "apple-valid" stream?

Greets hco