[MPlayer-users] lavf demuxer

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 18:07:15 CET 2005

(quoting reordered for my sanity's sake)

Please don't top-post.

Ryan Olf wrote:

> On Mon, December 12, 2005 5:40 pm, Andrew A. Gill wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Ryan Olf wrote:
>>

>>> Does anybody else have trouble with the lavf demuxer.  This is
>>> the error I get:
>>>
>>> LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed
>>>
>>> I'm on a 64 bit system.
>>
>> All together now--read the bug reporting guidelines.
>>
>> Or at least tell me this:
>>
>> 1.) What's the file
>> 2.) What's the system
>
> Yeah, *thanks*. I thought that maybe a simple question could get a
> simple answer, or at least AN answer. I posted a few days ago with
> the subject: lavf demuxer 64bit problem? including all the relevant
> information, and got no replies, so I thought I'd try something
> simple, coax average joe user into revealing his/her experience. I
> thought, maybe all the details turned people away. If you want the
> details, you can see that email in the archives:
>
> http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20051210.105528.7c873386.en.html

For what it's worth, the reason I didn't respond to that message is
because I don't have a 64-bit system and so am not in a position to so
much as test it, much less try to do anything about it. I imagine the
same is true of quite a number of others, as well.

I've just grabbed the first of the two files you linked to in the
above-referenced post, however, and it is likewise played at 90000 fps
even on my own 32-bit system. This is (probably) not a libavformat
problem, however; the file is played back at the correct speed by
ffplay, which is FFmpeg's internal bare-bones media player and obviously
uses libavformat for demuxing. Unless the bug was introduced into
libavformat in the time since I last updated ffplay - i.e., since the
9th of this month - it must in fact lie somewhere else.

'mplayer -identify' reports the file as having a frame rate of 90000
fps, so it's not surprising that it is played back at that rate. ffmpeg
itself reports the file as having a frame rate of 29.97 (-> 30000/1001)
fps. The bug is somewhere in MPlayer - at a first guess, somewhere in
demux_lavf.c.

I would guess, in the absence of further information, that the
difference between the 64-bit and 32-bit versions you ran was that they
were built on different versions of the source tree - not actually
compiled from the same source. Obtaining and compiling the source of the
version which gave you correct playback would probably let you play the
file normally. In any case, knowing the exact version string of that
copy of MPlayer would probably help narrow down the change which caused
the problem.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.