[MPlayer-users] Is S-Video and external monitor limited by laptop's graphics card's max resolution.

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Sun Aug 28 03:24:02 CEST 2005

Reshat Sabiq wrote:

> Looks like it's all covered at:
> http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNTSC.asp
>
> So then i'm making the following conclusions (please correct me if i'm
> wrong):
> 1. both 1024x768 max resolution laptop and 1280x768 one will have the
> same quality of playback via S-Video, and in fact resolutions are
> irrelevant, as Reimar said, and all modern resolutions would have the
> same playback.
> 2. a (DVD) stream played back on a computer monitor (VGA or LCD) from
> a computer will be higher quality than the same stream played back via
> S-Video, because more pixels will be used for rendering
> 3. a laptop with max resolution of 1024x768 would be able to play a
> wide screen DVD on a "16:9" VGA (e.g., at 1280x768)
>
> Thanks.

I think answer to 1 is Yes.
On 2., there probably won't be any different between a comparable TV +
S-Video, or a monitor, since the TV will have larger pixels, and a
monitor would scale a pixel to more than 1. Though i don't exactly
understand what happens if, say, horizontal resolution is not a multiple
of 720. I guess some pixels get rendered more than once and some don't.
On 3., i made a typo, 1280x768 is not 16:9, i meant to say 1280x720. I'm
pretty sure the answer is yes, although not all of external VGA or LCD
resolutions might be supported. So i guess the answer is 75% chance yes,
25% No, or something like that.