[MPlayer-users] Letterboxed movies

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Aug 5 00:47:36 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 05:09:25PM +0200, Sebastian Sch?fer wrote:
> So, I thought about using mplayer's Pan & Scan feature for getting rid of the black borders. Unfortunately, the only thing happening is, that absolutely nothing happens :-(

It does not work to remove borders when they are in the encoded video,
you have to crop them away forst in that case.

> Another idea would be: Is there a possibility to automatically detect, whether there are such borders in a video, and then don't display these borders on the screen, but "inflate" the video, so that is shown on the whole screen (in the case of being a 16:9 movie played on a 16:9 screen)

-vf cropdetect is for detecting black borders, and when you use -vf crop
to remove them while playing, "inflating" it is exactly what -panscan
should do...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger

O.T.: You might try the -dr option and see if that makes MPlayer faster
so it can handle some videos it couldn't before...