[MPlayer-users] what's the difference between these fonts

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Fri Apr 29 10:55:19 CEST 2005

Improving Improving wrote:
> i'm using arial-iso-8859-7 font, but seems this font cannot display western
> characters correctly, for example, é, â, ù......., i was wondering what
> advanced command line to type so that it could display western characters
> correctly.

That's because - correcting what was said earlier - the name iso-8859-x
stands for the codepage, where iso-8859-1 is the western european
codepage (also called latin-1), which is identical to the unicode
charset between 0 and 255.
iso-8859-2 is the central european codeset, which adds support for
certain hungarian and czech characters, iso-8859-3 with support for
turkish and most western european languages (but not all), iso-8859-4
for scandinavian and baltic languages, iso-8859-5 is cyrillic,
iso-8859-6 is arabic, iso-8859-7 contains greek characters, iso-8859-8
hebrew, iso-8859-9 is again a dedicated turkish character set, latin-10
is an extension to iso-8859-4 with support for greenlandic and inuit,
iso-8859-15 is almost identical to iso-8859-1, but has the EURO-Sign,
some caron letters, OE-lig and the umlaut-Y.

As for the blurring/rendering of these fonts i don't know. if they
aren't form the same source, and some are implemented weaker, the
blurring can go wrong, but I haven't tested that. I'm perfectly fine
with my DVD subtitles, these are pictures and do not need to bother for
character sets...

regards,
Alex