[MPlayer-users] Re: bugreport for mms stream playback

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Sat Apr 16 20:06:23 CEST 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:29:02 +0000 (UTC)
adland <adland123 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> compn <tempn <at> twmi.rr.com> writes:
>

> > adland (adland123 at yahoo.com) on Sat Apr 16 02:40:52 CEST 2005
wrote:

> > >Bug Report for playback of live stream at
> > >mms://dorotea.tv/live
> >
> > windows media player 10 rolls back to rtsp://...
> > this is the new way to stream with wms.
> > you can read about it on microsoft's website.

WMP10 always tries rtsp first, than fall back to mms if it does not
work. M$ is pushing rtsp for streaming, but obviously they use some
experimental (ie. undocumented) X- format for audion and video.

[...]

> xine plays it using mms according to the packet capture and an mms
format doc I
> found on the web.
>
> I dont have WMP 10 installed myself.
>
> Comparing the packets of a MPlayer and xine playback attempt for this
mms URL
>  shows they are almost the same.

xine mms support is better than ours, we should seriously considering
porting their enhancements, the code started out from the same source
(majormms code based on sdp docs).

That url have 6 streams in it (3 audio and 3 video), MPlayer supports
streaming the best audio/video only on mmshttp, not on mmstcp; but
usually it can figure them out at demuxer layer and plays the first one.

Ciao,
 Roberto