[MPlayer-users] [Very OT] German Speakers

Stefan Sassenberg stefan.sassenberg at gmx.de
Fri Apr 15 21:15:49 CEST 2005

Joey Parrish wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 08:57:09PM +0200, Stefan Sassenberg wrote:
>
>>Sascha Sommer wrote:

>>>sprengen?
>

>>I agree, "sprengen" fits best. I'd like to add that "sprengen" has
>>another meaning which is "to water". You might imagine the possible
>>jokes for the german translation of "watering the lawn".
>

> Interesting!  So is it understood by context which is meant?  How should
> I make it clear that I am blowing something up instead of watering it?

Just by what you blow up or water. You would probably never destroy a
lawn or a flower bed. I think "sprengen" is only used for those two. You
would not use it for watering something else. In case you might blow up
your lawn you could use another phrase, as the more casual "in die Luft
jagen" or maybe "wegsprengen" ("weg" means "away" or "off")

Stefan