[MPlayer-users] My first try to play HDTV demos ...

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Thu Apr 14 23:52:40 CEST 2005

> It's not as easy to switch between them as it might seem.  Everything
> I do with mencoder/mplayer is scripted, and to change between
> different versions of them I have to modify several scripts in
> numerous places.  Plus, the machine I use for most playback/encoding
> has no keyboard attached, just a remote, and it's plugged-in to a TV.

Yes, I have many scripts too, but I just have one script that decides
which version of mplayer to use:

MPLAYER=/usr/local/bin/mplayer-new

Then I just include that script in all my others:

. ~/.mplayer/setcmd.sh
$MPLAYER file.avi etc

That way I only have to change the first script and all my others switch
to a different version of mplayer.  You could easily have two versions
of the first script, and assign a button on the remote to switch between
them, then all it takes is a button press to switch mplayer versions.

Cheers,
Adam.