[MPlayer-users] xv overlay dies with nVidia card

Oleynik Phil Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Wed Apr 13 15:33:00 CEST 2005

Jouni.Lohikoski at iki.fi wrote:

>>First of al, NVidia driver is open-source. You can run a package with
>>

>No it is not. "Open-source" is something else but "partly open source".
>If Nvidia driver really would be open source, RivaTV driver developers
>wouldn't have problems to get Video-IN working with nvidia binary
>driver. Now there is, and Video-IN does not work in Nvidia cards with
>nvidia drivers. Please avoid buying Nvidia cards.

I think there is no need to be so aggresive against rather good hardware
supplier. Many their
cards are good enough to buy. I own FX5200 clone and have no problem
with xv, however,
xvidix DO have problems, it is very slow with that particular board.

>>--extract-only
>>

>or -x. Please notice the files in usr/lib/. If you have source code for
>those files, I am sure very many people would be thankful if you would
>share them.
>
>Part of the driver (which uses nvidia hardware) is in .so files, and those
>are binary only.

Yes, you are right, I did not noticed it is a main part, not supplemental.

>>If problem persists after downloading -7174 version of a driver,
>>post xvinfo output here.
>>

>I have had the problem with v7174 driver. When I have it next time, I'll
>try to debug more.

Try to get xvinfo output BEFORE failure and AFTER. I suspect some memory
leak in driver code,
try to open large movie, maybe it will lead to failure faster?

Philipp