[MPlayer-users] xv overlay dies with nVidia card

Oleynik Phil Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Wed Apr 13 12:38:31 CEST 2005

Adam Nielsen wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've noticed a rather annoying problem with mplayer and/or the nVidia
>closed-source driver.  It seems that after I've played a few movies
>(i.e. the xv overlay has been created and destroyed a number of times -
>probably 15 to 20 times) it suddenly stops creating the overlay and all
>I get is the blue window where the video should be.  MPlayer doesn't
>display any errors (its output is no different to when the overlay
>works) so I was wondering whether anyone else had experienced this
>problem?  It's rather annoying and requires a complete reload of X11 to
>fix (switching to text mode and back with Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't work.)
>
>Thanks,
>Adam.

Hello!

First of al, NVidia driver is open-source. You can run a package with

--extract-only

and get sources and also binaries for specific systems.
You may build it yourself, as you may like to do.
Read carefully ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-7174/README.txt
and look what hardware issues correspond to your system.
Run xvinfo after you install new driver and update AS WRITTEN IN README
your XFree86 confguration.
If problem persists after downloading -7174 version of a driver,
post xvinfo output here.

Philipp