[MPlayer-users] MPlayer-1.0pre4 bug with divx4 multipass filter

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Sep 14 05:02:37 CEST 2004

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 12:26:52PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> But when making high-quality dvd-rips, you can't even compare lavc and
> xvid. With postprocessing, hq rips look bad - all the details are
> blurred away. So I always make rips that do not need postprocessing
> (1700-2500kbit/s depending on material is enough to make very hq rip
> with the right settings). Sadly, on most types on content it's nearly
> impossible with lavc. Scenes with qp=2 look extremly bad (and I don't
> want to discuss my monitor, gamma, brightness and eyes - they are
> perfectly well). In a lot of scenes, you can see blocks everywhere!
> With xvid, qp=2 will lead to perfect result. The bitrate will be
> ~1.3-1.5 times higher than with lavc, though; but with qp=3, the result
> is still much better than lavc's and bitrate is smaller.

actually there's one more thing i thought of while talking about you
on irc...what lavc options are you using that result in blocking at
q=2? i expect you're using more than just "vqscale=2" by itself, and
there are definitely some options which don't make sense with
constant-q mode and which will severely lower quality. i remember
another user ran into the same thing a while back and it took us a
long time to figure out what the problem was.

rich