[MPlayer-users] low volume problem: mencoder tv:// to DVD or SVCD

Yusuf yusufad at myrealbox.com
Sat Sep 11 10:32:51 CEST 2004

rcooley escribió:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:54:05 -0500
>Yusuf <yusufad at myrealbox.com.DELME> wrote:
>

>>$AMIXER -q sset 'Analog Mix Capture Volume' 100%  unmute
>>

>Never heard of that device-name before.  You should be setting up
>"Capture", just as you do with "Line".  This very well could be your
>problem.
>

>>$AMIXER -q sset Line mute
>>

>It doesn't look like you know quite what you are doing.  Mencoder will
>still be able to record from your soundcard, even if Line and Capture
>are muted.

Pardon me, but I know what I'm doing.  My  script derives from one of my
most intense empiric learning experiences under punitive pressure ;-)

I know cute soundcars use 'Capture', but not the mighty Audigy2 ZS:

$ amixer -q sset Capture 100%  unmute cap
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Capture',0

As I wrote, the mixing is rater fancy...

> >Maybee its an Audigy driver issue, since the card mixing in alsa is
> wierd: you can't record from just >line-in; you always get the full
> analog mix, current XMMS song included.  But in Kino and other
> >programs the sound level is just fine...

Equally bizarre with the Line control: there is only Line Play, and not
Line Capture.  If I mute Line, I can't record it.  In Windoze (CLSB
Mixer) there's no Line Capture either, only Analog Mix...

More info:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=emu10k1

Also, for the curious, I include my complete control list at the end of
the message.

>>3. Is there a way to make mencoder split the files at certain
>>filesize?
>>

>Nope.

Owwwww.  Well, I'll have to emulate that: "-endpos $SIZE" with a loop
monitoring the current file size, and starting a new mencoder a
milisecond before the current reachs $SIZE... I smell further desynch...
¿or less?

I can't understand why the audio in line-in can get out of synch with
the video, sounds like quantum mechanics: ok, the sound and the video
capture cards don't always agree on timings, but that doesn't means that
after an hour of recording the audio is being transmited 20 secs. ahead
of video... supose its a problem with the encoder, which should resynch
(reset timings?) every now and then... so starting a new mencoder
process every 10 mins should provide better results, and some more hassle.

>>4. What would be the path of "least resistance", DVD or SVCD, and with
>>what apps?
>>

>Mencoder is very good at creating DVD/SVCD/VCD-compatible streams.  I
>create SVCDs all the time, and the only program you need other than
>mencoder is a multiplexer.  mplex is most popular, but I find tcmplex
>creates smaller files, is more flexible, etc.
>
>Just search the mailing list for the command-lines people use to encode
>to SVCD/DVD.  Now, that doesn't include menus. I can't help you on that
>one.

Yep, it's menus what I need.  There's GNU VCDImager/VCDRip__, looks
good, but I would need to write the XML (ugh!) by hand (agh!), as it
seems there's no GUI.  There must be at leat one authoring GUI, I
expect... anyone?

Thanks again.

--

$ amixer controls
numid=28,iface=MIXER,name='Master Playback Volume'
numid=25,iface=MIXER,name='Tone Control - Bass'
numid=27,iface=MIXER,name='Tone Control - Switch'
numid=26,iface=MIXER,name='Tone Control - Treble'
numid=55,iface=MIXER,name='3D Control - Switch'
numid=58,iface=MIXER,name='3D Control Sigmatel - Depth'
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Center Playback Volume'
numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Front Playback Volume'
numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='PCM LFE Playback Volume'
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Surround Playback Volume'
numid=5,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Volume'
numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Capture Volume'
numid=22,iface=MIXER,name='Surround Playback Volume'
numid=23,iface=MIXER,name='Center Playback Volume'
numid=24,iface=MIXER,name='LFE Playback Volume'
numid=6,iface=MIXER,name='Music Playback Volume'
numid=8,iface=MIXER,name='Music Capture Volume'
numid=16,iface=MIXER,name='Line2 Capture Volume'
numid=15,iface=MIXER,name='Line2 Playback Volume'
numid=42,iface=MIXER,name='Line Playback Switch'
numid=43,iface=MIXER,name='Line Playback Volume'
numid=44,iface=MIXER,name='CD Playback Switch'
numid=45,iface=MIXER,name='CD Playback Volume'
numid=41,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Boost (+20dB)'
numid=9,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Playback Volume'
numid=10,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Volume'
numid=37,iface=MIXER,name='Phone Playback Switch'
numid=38,iface=MIXER,name='Phone Playback Volume'
numid=35,iface=MIXER,name='PC Speaker Playback Switch'
numid=36,iface=MIXER,name='PC Speaker Playback Volume'
numid=20,iface=MIXER,name='Aux2 Capture Volume'
numid=19,iface=MIXER,name='Aux2 Playback Volume'
numid=48,iface=MIXER,name='Aux Playback Switch'
numid=49,iface=MIXER,name='Aux Playback Volume'
numid=14,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Optical Capture Volume'
numid=13,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Optical Playback Volume'
numid=29,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Optical Raw Playback Switch'
numid=162,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Default'
numid=163,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Default',index=1
numid=164,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Default',index=2
numid=165,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Default',index=3
numid=158,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Mask'
numid=159,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Mask',index=1
numid=160,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Mask',index=2
numid=161,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Mask',index=3
numid=18,iface=MIXER,name='Analog Mix Capture Volume'
numid=17,iface=MIXER,name='Analog Mix Playback Volume'
numid=166,iface=MIXER,name='Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack'
numid=12,iface=MIXER,name='Audigy CD Capture Volume'
numid=11,iface=MIXER,name='Audigy CD Playback Volume'
numid=61,iface=MIXER,name='External Amplifier'
numid=21,iface=MIXER,name='Front Playback Volume'
numid=59,iface=MIXER,name='Sigmatel 4-Speaker Stereo Playback Switch'
numid=60,iface=MIXER,name='Sigmatel Surround Phase Inversion Playback '
numid=30,iface=PCM,name='EFX voices mask'