[MPlayer-users] Playing DAB MP2 files

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Fri Sep 3 00:22:32 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:49:29PM +0100, Paul Webster wrote:

> > And how do you define 'looked plausible' in case of audio and/or video?
> > Guessing by some things I hear on subway anything can be recorded these
> > times and bear name of 'music'.
> Not by the sound ... but when you get the right settings on the command line
> then it instantly determines the right sample aret etc from the datastream.
> If you get the wrong command line then it usually (at least in my case)
> gives you no meaningful sample data and simply reports that it is at EOF.
> So - my interpretation is that it finds frames based on what it knows about
> the configured protocol.
> So - if it guessed a few but could not find frames within a reasonable time
> (say 10kb) then it could try again with a different protocol (etc).
> Anyway - we are only speculating.

Yes, we are. Assume a fictional audio codec, that encodes samples, but
stores information on output frequency only in header. Now, we have sth
that decodes properly, but is unusable w/o any manual interference (have
you ever tried to play 22KHz audio at 44KHz or vice versa). Well, not
best of codecs, but simple WAV w/o headers will behave like this.
And for video, let's say the order of colour planes is unspecified. If
you swap chroma planes, than it looks badly (this one is AFAIK real).
And I see no autodetection here ;)
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl