[MPlayer-users] trouble encoding NTSC anime (broken telecine?)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Sep 2 21:34:47 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:13:02PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm trying to encode "Slayers Try" NTSC R1 DVD, but no matter what
> combination of filters I use (granted, I probably haven't tried all of
> them), I can't get good results. Original material is 720x480, aspect 4:3,
> 29.97 fps. Here's what I get:
> -vf pullup,softskip -ofps 24000/1001 -> jerky panning, some ghosting
> -vf softpulldown,ivtc=1 -ofps 24000/1001 -> as above
> -vf filmdint,softskip -ofps 24000/1001 -> as above
> -vf pp=l5 -> fluent movement, some ghosting
> -vf divtc=deghost=64 -> almost fluent, some ghosting
>
> I've uploaded samples to MPHQ/MPlayer/incoming/Slayers_Try-ivtc/
> Slayers_Try_01.mpeg - streamdump (seek to 00:01:40 -> -ss 00:01:53).
> Slayers_Try_01.*.avi - sample output of the filters mentioned above.
>
> If you seek to 00:01:40 (-ss 00:01:53) you'll see a scene with a seagull at
> the beginning of the episode. Ghosting artifacts can be seen clearly when
> the seagull passes through the middle of the screen (one second later).
>
> Please help me find the best filter combination. I haven't tried 2pass
> divtc yet.
>
> TIA,
> R.

sorry dominik, i already read the thread on -advusers and i don't
think i can help. actually it sounds like the problem is similar to
the one in the utena dvds which i just discussed in another thread. if
you want me to take a look at it, try to isolate the problem clip from
the mpeg file so i can download just that. i don't want to download 90
megs just to confirm that the problem is unfixable...

btw, a combination you might try is -vf pp=lb,divtc=deghost=...

rich