[MPlayer-users] subfiles

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Oct 28 11:39:12 CEST 2004

Hey,

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 11:30:24AM +0200, Carl Fûrstenberg wrote:
> If I have a movie with a Subs/sub.rar, containing two rar-files, one
> per cd, and each containing a .sub-file, how does I easiest use that
> file?

Unpack those files. mplayer does support RARed subs, but only RAR 2.x
and not the newer RAR 3.x compression scheme. If the files (both the
.idx and the .sub) have the same basename as the movie then mplayer will
use them automatically.

Now another option is to put the movie AND the subs into a Matroska
file. VobSubs in Matroska will be stripped of useless MPEG program
stream info (or whatever kind of info that is) and compressed
afterwards. The movie + the subs in a Matroska file are usually still
smaller than the original AVI file so that they fit nicely onto a 700 MB
CD (and you don't have to unRAR first).

Mosu