[MPlayer-users] [BUGREPORT] Crash when REAL used with any -aop options

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Oct 25 12:32:21 CEST 2004

The Wanderer wrote:

> Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>> Did you try leave it out from the commandline and use ao sdl
>> instead?
>
> Not specifically in this case, but I tried all kinds of things
> (varying AO methods being first on the list) back when I was trying
> to get software volume control in the first place, and unless my
> memory is even more screwed up than usual nothing else would actually
> work. (The alternative is that yes, I tried that, and it produced
> audio Way Too Quiet even at full volume.)
>
> I don't know what I was doing back then, though, because I just gave
> it another shot and it worked just fine... maybe something's changed
> on my system in the interim, I don't know. Thanks for the suggestion,
> because I'd probably have never gotten around to trying it again
> otherwise.

Replying to correct myself, here: this was a matter of conflicting
configuration options. I forgot, when doing the tests which produced the
above paragraph, that I had re-enabled the -aop line in my configuration
file. Without it, -ao sdl does indeed allow software volume control, but
starts out comparatively quiet and at near the top of the volume bar -
it's possible to reduce volume that way, but not to increase it. The
"Way Too Quiet" alternative I mentioned above appears to have been the
correct one.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.