[MPlayer-users] Hardware Acceleration for DVD playback

Matt matt at mattford.net
Wed Oct 20 23:24:18 CEST 2004

I have an ATi Rage Pro 3D 8MB graphics card that claims to have MPEG-2
decoding on it somewhere, I was wondering if it's possible to get this
working properly because at the moment I have about 0.5 FPS in DVD
playback, even with all the optimisations under the sun running. The
machine is an AMD K6-II 333Mhz with 128MB RAM. I am running FreeBSD 5.2.1.
The sound is running smoothly enough, it's just the video that's the
problem. Video also runs smoothly playing back .avi movies. The current
-vo devices I have are:

Available video output drivers:
         svga    SVGAlib
         png     PNG file
         null    Null video output
         pgm     PGM file
         md5     MD5 sum
         mpegpes Mpeg-PES file
         yuv4mpeg        yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools (to "stream.yuv")
         cvidix  console VIDIX
         tga     Targa output

I don't have X installed and would like to avoid having it if possible
because I am concerned about wasting valuable processor time running that
as opposed to decoding DVDs.